Friday, January 1, 2010

Lorem Ipsum...

After texting a rather long message, my daughter asked me why the display keys where laid out the way a certain way. I replied that "in the old days" typewriters would "stick" if one would type (excuse me, texted) too fast and that the QWERTY layout minimized interference. To answer the next question (what's a typewriter?) required me to search for my old university machine to visually display jamming. I tried to explain white out and carbon paper but I noted a glazed look in her eyes when I mentioned selectrics. I quietly resigned to the fact that technology had once again beaten me again.

To test out "the feel" of typewriters, and later on keyboards, I would systematically use the pangram "Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs". I would have used Lorem Ipsum but the phrase would be too long and besides most of the words are nonsensical Latin, or mock Latin.

Although not correct, one of the better sayings is "Nihil Illegitimi carborundum".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica

Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica